A few simple ways to feel your best all summer long:
- Break a sweat! Sweating is one of our most fabulous detox pathways. Exercise or go to a sauna to help cleanse. Aim for breaking a sweat at least 3 days a week. Make sure to towel dry and shower afterwards so the yucky stuff in our sweat is washed away and not reabsorbed.
- Eat Clean: Focus on a vegetable based diet for 30 days (or for forever ;) Tons of veggies, raw or cooked to help with digestion. Add in plenty of protein sources such as nuts, seeds, beans and lean meats. Have a couple of good pieces of fruit per day, away from other foods as the rate of digestion is slower for fruit and we don't want things to ferment in your belly! What should you try cutting out? Nix dairy, sugar, processed foods and gluten-full grains for the ultimate reduction in belly bloat.
-Drink Water! LOTS OF IT. A good rule of thumb is to drink 1/2 your body weight in ounces. So a 120lb person should aim for 60ounces daily. Every cell in our body needs water to function properly, lube them up and stay hydrated throughout the day for ultimate nourishment. If you really take note, you will see that fine lines and wrinkles are reduced when our skin is hydrated...and some people swear that their lips look plumper!
- Add Bitters: Include bitters in your diet for natural liver cleansing...our liver helps move the junk out though our bile duct and digestive tract. That's right, we poop it out. Take a close look at the greens isle. Try out arugula and dandelion greens in salads. Have some bitter black coffee or tea from time to time (not loaded up with cream and sugar) or consider a coffee alternative with roasted dandelion root. Yum. Drink a small teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in a little water 10-15 minutes before meals to prep your digestive system and get things moving.
- Stay regular: Keep bowels moving and avoid constipation by eating fiber (fruits, veggies, dried prunes!) I love magnesium in the form of a product called Natural Calm. Start off with 1/4 tsp and work your way up to whatever dose you need to keep regular. Traditional medicinal also makes a fab tea called Smooth Move when nothing else is helping.
- Exfoliate: Use the old Naturopathic technique called skin brushing to open up detox pathways and increases circulation. Use a dry brush, loofa or wash cloth and rub skin, always toward your heart, before showering.
In glowing skin, fresh spring greens and happy healthy poops,
-Analisa Jahna, N.D.